Tuesday, October 18, 2005

It's OK, I'm with the band...

....my son's high school marching band, that is. Ben is a freshman, and plays trumpet in the Colleyville-Heritage High School band. He opted for junior varsity at the beginning of the school year, so he doesn't march on the field during football game halftimes or at competitions; but he does play with the band in the stands during the games, and he takes band classes during the school day. He has been playing trumpet since the fifth grade, and has done pretty well at it: he was first chair for most of his middle school years, although he has started back at the bottom now that he is in high school.

The parents of band students are encouraged to volunteer to help the band program, and there are plenty of opportunities. They need chaperones for away games, concession stand workers at the home games, and lots of other assistants. To get more involved in Ben's activities, I decided to volunteer to be a "pit dad" this year. Pit dads help load and unload the large instruments and other band equipment at the football games and band competitions. They are called "pit dads" because a large portion of the equipment to be handled are the "pit" instruments, i.e. the stationary ones that aren't carried around the field during the shows such as the marimbas, xylophones, tympani, and such. Those are (typically) set up at the front of the stands at the stadium, while the field is left open for the marching players. Loading and unloading those things can be a chore, but fortunately we have had a good turnout of dads each week so far and we haven't had any trouble getting them where they need to go. The pit dads in our group are a nice bunch of guys, and I have enjoyed the games and competitions that I have gone to so far this season. I don't actually interact with Ben much while we are at the venues for the performances, but I am glad to be there and help his school's band program. The arts don't get enough support in our school systems, IMO, and I am happy to do any small thing that I can to pitch in. It also gets me in to watch the football games and competitions for free, and that's a nice bonus.

The CHHS band is highly respected in our area. We have done well in two competitions so far this year; two years ago (before Ben was there) the band was selected to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. I am very impressed by the show they have put together this year, which uses music specifically composed for them by a noted school band composer whose name, I believe, is Key Poulan. This year's music is based on Pachelbel's Canon in D, and the composition and arrangement is quite well done, in my opinion, as is the marching routine that the band directors have created to go with it. I always enjoy watching and hearing the show at each performance. Ben has already said that he wants to move up to varsity the first chance he gets, so I expect that he will be out there on the field with the band next year.

I haven't been all that involved in Ben's school activities in the past. I think I've tended to be too busy (or thought I was) with my own personal interests. I am sorry that I didn't do something like this sooner; I'm enjoying it, and I think Ben is glad that I'm participating. I know I am.

1 comment:

  1. There may be an RSS feed for my bolg, but I don't know how to tell you how to find it or use it. I'm not that savvy on those things.

    ReplyDelete